Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The decade in review

Well, it's the end of the decade. Ten years ago people were worried about Y2K bringing about the end of the world, and now people are worried about the Mayan prophesy of the world ending in 2012. So I guess some things never change. Music has changed a lot though. My taste has changed quite a lot since 2000. Back then I was eleven years old and listening to Smash Mouth. Right now I am 21 and listening to Animal Collective (I use them as an example because I am actually listening to them right at this second).

So I tried to make a top 50 list for the decade, but I couldn't get it down to less than 60. There's a lot of great music that isn't on this list, and the list could certainly be more diverse as well. I'm not even saying these albums are the best, I'm just saying they're my favorites. These are all albums that I can listen to all the way through over and over. These are albums that I have yet to get bored with. Most of the stuff from 2000 through 2002 wasn't stuff that I listened to at the time but stuff that I discovered later. The music I listened to back then isn't very good. But anyway, here's my list, in no order of preference:

2000
1. At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command
2. Queens of the Stone Age – Rated R
3. The Anniversary – Designing a Nervous Breakdown
4. Cursive – Domestica
5. Deftones – White Pony
6. Jurassic 5 – Quality Control
7. A Perfect Circle – Mer de Noms

2001
1. Aesop Rock – Labor Days
2. Hot Water Music – A Flight and a Crash
3. Incubus – Morning View
4. Tenacious D – Tenacious D

2002
1. Thrice – The Illusion of Safety
2. Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf
3. Trail of Dead – Source Tags & Codes
4. Broken Social Scene – You Forgot It In People
5. Coheed and Cambria – The Second Stage Turbine Blade
6. dredg – El Cielo
7. Glassjaw – Worship and Tribute
8. Jets to Brazil – Perfecting Loneliness
9. Minus the Bear – Highly Refined Pirates
10. Sneaker Pimps – Bloodsport
11. Talib Kweli – Quality
12. Thievery Corporation – The Richest Man in Babylon

2003
1. Coheed and Cambria – In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
2. Immortal Technique – Revolutionary Vol. 2
3. The Mars Volta – De-Loused in the Comatorium
4. A Perfect Circle – Thirteenth Step
5. Rx Bandits – The Resignation
6. Streetlight Manifesto – Everything Goes Numb
7. The Weakerthans – Reconstruction Site

2004
1. Clutch – Blast Tyrant
2. Handsome Boy Modeling School – White People
3. Head Automatica – Decadence
4. Incubus – A Crow Left of the Murder
5. Modest Mouse – Good News for People Who Love Bad News

2005
1. Gatsbys American Dream – Volcano
2. HORSE the band – The Mechanical Hand
3. Minus the Bear – Menos el Oso
4. The Notorious B.I.G. - Duets: The Final Chapter

2006
1. Annuals – Be He Me
2. Lupe Fiasco – Food & Liquor
3. Peeping Tom – Peeping Tom
4. Pearl Jam – Pearl Jam

2007
1. Aesop Rock – None Shall Pass
2. Iron & Wine – The Shepherd's Dog
3. Minus the Bear – Planet of Ice
4. Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
5. State Radio – Year of the Crow

2008
1. Girl Talk – Feed the Animals
2. The Mars Volta – The Bedlam in Goliath
3. The Raconteurs – Consolers of the Lonely
4. Ratatat – LP3
5. The Sound of Animals Fighting – The Ocean and the Sun
6. Styrofoam – A Thousand Words

2009
1. Franz Ferdinand – Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
2. HORSE the band – Desperate Living
3. MuteMath – Armistice
4. P.O.S. - Never Better
5. Pretty Lights – Passing By Behind Your Eyes
6. Rx Bandits - Mandala

1 comment:

  1. I can remember exactly where I was when this awful decade came into being. Believe it or not, when I rang in the new year on January 1, 2000, not only was I stone-cold sober - I was at church! My then-girlfriend and I attended a special midnight mass at the local Catholic church to welcome in, not only a new decade, but a new century and a new millennium. I remember feeling filled with optimism. By entering this new era, I felt, we could wipe the slate clean. Maybe this would be a new age of peace, love, brother and sisterhood. EVERYBODY SING!

    This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius!
    Age of Aquarius!
    Aquariusuuuuus!

    How utterly naive on my part, huh? By year's end, all of that hope was out the window and into the toilet. In December of 2000, an ideologically perverted Supreme Court would assist in a stolen election by stopping the vote count in the state of Florida, installing a corrupt little frat boy with the I.Q. of a half-eaten box of Milk Duds as president of the United States. It was all downhill from that moment on. From the birth of "Reality Television" to the worst attack on American soil since the Civil War, it was quite a strange ten years to say the least. Thankfully this awful decade is a mere three days away from being forever consigned to history's scrap heap. Hallelujah.

    http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

    Tom Degan

    ReplyDelete