Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why I don't write here more often

I like the idea of writing in a blog. More than that, I like that I have a reason to do so. Unfortunately I have not had the time to do any leisure writing. I'm barely keeping up with all the reading and writing that I have to do to pass four classes. When I'm not at school or working on school assignments, I'm working at my job. My job is pretty mindless and dumb, but I really need the money.

With the little bit of time I have between making money and pursuing education, I've been writing and practicing with my band. We still haven't played any shows, and we don't have a bassist or a lead singer, but we do have nine groovy-ass jams and handfuls of other ideas that will soon be developed into groovy-ass jams. We've recently come across an excellent opportunity to record a couple songs at Omega Studios. That'll be going down this Friday. As of now, pretty much all we've done is sit around in my basement and rock out on acoustic guitars. Most of our equipment sucks, because good equipment is really expensive and none of us have the money to invest. The only recordings of our songs are poor-quality videos that I recorded on my phone. So now we have the chance to actually bring our music to life. According to the Omega Studios web site, well-known acts ranging from Jimi Hendrix to Radiohead to Tori Amos to Chuck Berry to Third Eye Blind to Bad Brains have recorded there. So I'm pretty excited about this.

But anyway, that's why I haven't really been writing in my blog. I can't fit all that into a day or week or month without cutting something out. I've been constantly short on sleep and often blowing off assignments in favor of catching up on said lack of sleep. But it's worth it. If we (my two best friends and myself) don't put time and effort into our music right now it'll probably never happen. I really like the way our songs have been shaping up and I want to share them with people. Pretty soon I'll actually be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment